Black Swallowtail--well, almost


These are the pre and early pupa stages.  They are both now in the early pupa stages and have been for the last week.  Another week or two and they will emerge as Black Swallowtail butterflies. 

I've been told that they like to emerge in the bright part of the day, usually morning.  Unfortunately, this is when I'm at work, but my source has told me that if I move my container to the basement or other dark room, I can prolong the emerging. I should be able to time it for when I'm home to watch them come out.  :-)  He has also told me that they take quite some time before they can actually fly, so I will be able to move them outside for photographs before they fly away.  HOW EXCITING IS THAT!!!  I will definitely keep you posted.  We'll see if I can do this right. I should have collected more than the two caterpillars.

Comments

Popular Posts